DIY GLITTER HEELS



Has anyone noticed that fashion has taken an explosive turn to glitter of late? Miu Miu and Christian Louboutin are just two of many designers who have gone disco and turned glitter to heels (among other things) and I'm sure by now you have all seen this trend bleeding out into local shoe shops everywhere. However, the more budget friendly brands are still quite a bit considering these are a TOTAL 'it' item, and being on a budget this Christmas I'm really not prepared to fork out much on this style (even though I'm a little obsessed) when I know I can make it myself.

Miu Miu

Miu Miu


So, as part of Tightass Tuesday, I decided to get my DIY on hard and make a pair of my own glitter heels. All up they cost a grand total of $12 to make. Honestly.

You'll need:
- Old heels or a thrifted pair. Mine were $4 from Salvo's, a steal (although they were pretty hideous).
- Glitter. I bought two sachets at a Discount store for $1 per sachet. (I really wanted rose gold but at Lincraft they were $4.50 per sachet and I needed 3!)
- Sandpaper
- Craft glue (one that dries clear)
- Paintbrush


How to do it:
1. Get your pair of thrifted shoes and sand them with your sandpaper. This is so the glue will hold well.
2. Mix 1 sachet of glitter with your glue. The brand of glue that I bought was 120mL and that was more than enough to cover both shoes. I also mixed a little water with the glue so it wasn't so thick.


3. Mix the glue and glitter together well and then start painting the heels all over with the glue (on newspaper of course).


4. Once the shoe is completely covered with the glue mixture open the second sachet of glitter and sprinkle it all over. If you like you can put a container underneath to catch any glitter that doesn't stick. Make sure you cover all sections. I needed to go over the heel part twice as there were parts I had missed.

Glitter on the inside can be removed later
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the other heel.
6. Leave heels to dry overnight for best results.


And there you have it. How long did it take? The entire duration of The Lion King. The only problem I have found so far is that even when the glitter had completely dried it was still shedding all over the place. I think I'll buy a spray adhesive and see if that will keep the glitter in place. I'll get back to you on that one. I'll definitely be featuring these cuties in an outfit post soon. Happy Tightass Tuesday!

UPDATE: I bought some spray adhesive and coated it on to the heels and it worked a treat! No need to over-spray. Just a light coating and the glitter should stay on fine.




No comments:

Post a Comment